Mercedes-Benz, as the oldest and most original company in the automotive industry during 120 years of innovation in this industry, is still one of the best. In this post, we will be at your service by reviewing several innovations of this company.
1. The world's first automaker: In 1886, when the company's name was not yet known to the public, Carl Benz introduced the world's first automobile. The 954cc single-cylinder engine was capable of producing one horsepower and had a top speed of 16 km / h.
2. The invention of the supercharger: In 1921, when the world's first cars were changing a major event in people's lives, Mercedes-Benz used an air compressor to deliver more oxygen to the engine, which increased propulsive efficiency. Mercedes was the first company to patent this invention at that time.
3. Production of the first 8-speed gearbox: It may be difficult to find an eight-speed manual gearbox in cars built to date, but you should know that Mercedes-Benz in 1931 used an eight-speed manual gearbox for the Maybach DS8. The gearbox was mated to a 12-cylinder, eight-liter DS8 engine.
4. Diesel cars: Diesel engines were mostly used for ships and submarines before 1936. Even Citroën and Peugeot researched these engines but failed to produce them. Mercedes, which is a pioneer in all fields in the automotive industry, produced the first diesel car with the introduction of the Mercedes-Benz 260D. The car's 2.5-liter four-cylinder diesel engine was capable of reaching a top speed of 95 km / h.
5. Turbo Diesel: In the 70's, with the rise in gasoline prices, diesel engines became very popular. The 300SD was the world's first turbodiesel-powered car to be powered by a 111-horsepower, 5-cylinder, 3-liter turbo diesel engine.
6. Invention of electric anti-lock brakes: The four-channel electric anti-lock system caused the mechanical version to be discarded due to better and faster performance. This technology was first installed in 1978 on the S-Class W116.
7. Convertible car safety rod: Car safety monitoring agencies are too sensitive to convertible cars, which is why Mercedes introduced a strong rod to support the weight of the car when left when the SL was introduced. The bar, which is usually placed behind the seats, opens as soon as the sensors detect that the car is left-handed, preventing injury to the occupants. The operating time of this system is less than three tenths of a second.
8. Electrical stability control: This technology was first used in 1995 in the CL600 model. The ESC system automatically brakes as soon as it detects that the car is out of control. The outstanding performance of this technology in reducing accidents caused that all cars in circulation in the United States from 2012 onwards must be equipped with this system.
9- Brake assist: Many drivers do not press the brake pedal enough at the time of the accident, and this causes many accidents. The TRW system was first installed on the S-Class in 1998 and has been required to be installed on all vehicles since 2009 in Europe.
10 - Adaptive cruise control: Cruise control with the help of radars and cameras adjusts the speed of the car and in case of distraction the driver automatically brakes from the obstacles ahead. This technology was first installed in 1998 on the Mercedes S-Class W220.
11- Keyless entry and start system: 1998 Mercedes S class The W220 S-Class had another notable feature. Keyless entry and start systems eliminate the need for a physical key to some extent. This technology was first introduced by the German company VDO.
12. Massage chairs: in Mercedes-Benz S-Class Massage chairs have a much shorter history. These seats were installed in the 2000 Mercedes-Benz S-Class.
13-Off-road warning at Mercedes-Benz Actros in 2000: This technology gives an audible warning if it detects a deviation from the path, and of course it does this by scanning the road lines by the cameras. The first production system was seen in the Mercedes-Benz Actros. Nissan was also the first automaker to use this system in a passenger car. This car was Sima F50 market of Japan, which was produced in 2001.
Whit respect , I am engineer building and idea maker from Icahn, Iran .I have two valuable ideas for the cars of your big company . 1 The idea of car safety in the dark of night or rainy weather or foggy weather which in addition to beauty makes the car more secure .2 Engine cooling system in difficult conditions such as extreme heat or car races it reduces the temperature of the car engine .Thanks